Saturday

The Last Airbender- Shyamalan's Fall from Grace

Without hesitation, I can say that "The Last Airbender" was the worst movie I've seen in a long, long time. M. Night Shyamalan, what happened to you, buddy? He's fallen a long way from "The Sixth Sense" which was an ingenious retelling of the pey myth contextualized for an American audience (which I actually recommend to people who are seeking to understand Folk Hinduism better). Shyamalan's attempt to produce a Middle Earth-type franchise just makes me want to die. Yes, sadly, this film sets itself up to be the first in a series. We can only hope that the producers wise up and scrap the sequels or, dare I say, Shyamalan.

Actually, it pains me to say that, because I've always been something of a Shyamalan fan. I even liked "Unbreakable." But, he's driven off a cliff on this last offering, and I can't go there with him.

And, someone needs to say this, I used to think it was kind of clever when Shyamalan would make little cameos in his films. It made for a fun "Where's Waldo" type of experience. But, now he's just kind of forcing himself on us by taking on major roles. Not nearly as fun.

So, moral of the story, spending lots of money on special effects, sets, and imagery of vast beautiful landscapes does not make your film the Lord of the Rings. Now, just for fun, here's a few others giving their review of Airbender:



The Last Airbender | Trailer & Official Movie Site | Now Playing In 3D

No comments:

Post a Comment