Thursday

A Report on Suicide among Bhutanese Refugees

Photo by nahlinse
Here is a recent article reporting on a study conducted among Bhutanese-Nepalis on the topic of suicide.  Some of you will recall my post from earlier this year on this issue.  This article from Psychiatric Annals, says the suicide rate among the Bhutanese refugees is nearly double the US national average.

The article also provides a list of contributing factors, which is helpful. However, in my opinion, the big question remains as to why the suicide rate among Bhutanese refugees is so much higher than other refugee groups who experience so many of the same issues including poverty, PTSD, depression, identity loss, etc.  When I read the article, I want to ask the researchers what is unique about the Bhutanese!  In the end, the true answer may be something that this kind of research just can't get at.  I'm personally beginning to feel that there may be a "spirit of suicide and death" over the Bhutanese refugees - a kind of spiritual stronghold that needs to be broken.

Since I have readers from all kinds of backgrounds, I'm sure that will come off as very odd thing to say.  If that's how you feel, I welcome your thoughts one why suicide is so prevalent among these people - people I love so much.

Here's the article:

Suicidal ideation among refugees associated with resettlement issues | Psychiatry: "The annual suicide rate among those who had resettled in the US could be as high as 24.4 per 100,000, exceeding the estimated global suicide rate (16 per 100,000) and that among US residents (12.4 per 100,000)."

No comments:

Post a Comment